Mariposa Lodge No. 24 sits in the little Gold Rush town of Mariposa, California, the northern gateway to Yosemite National Park. The Stated Meeting (our business meeting) was scheduled for Saturday morning, and over the years I've settled into one of two routines. Either I leave San Dimas at an unreasonable hour—about 3:30 a.m.—to make the 10:00 a.m. meeting, or I drive north the day before, spend the night in Merced, and make the easy forty-five-minute drive up the mountain the next morning.
This trip presented another opportunity.
So far this baseball season I had attended ten games in three different ballparks. I wondered if I could add a fourth stadium without making the trip overly complicated.
Visalia was geographically convenient, but attending a Friday night game there would have meant another long drive afterward. Stockton was simply too far north. Fresno, however, sat almost perfectly along my route. Decision made.
The Fresno Grizzlies, the Colorado Rockies' Single-A affiliate, happened to be hosting the Rancho Cucamonga Quakes—the very team I'd watched earlier this season near my home in Southern California. It felt fitting that my newest ballpark would feature one of the teams I'd already gotten to know.
Buying the ticket, however, reminded me that technology sometimes creates more work than convenience.
I already had the MLB app.
That wasn't enough.
I needed the Ballpark app.
Then I discovered the easiest way to access the tickets was through yet another application, the MiLB app.
Three baseball apps later, I finally had my ticket.
While browsing seating options, I came across something called the Kodiak Lounge. For $80 it included premium seats, an air-conditioned lounge, an all-you-can-eat buffet, desserts, and a private bar. Considering that good seats alone usually cost around $25, it sounded like an interesting experiment.
Friday afternoon I left San Dimas around noon. Southern California traffic being what it is, I didn't arrive in Fresno until about 5:20 p.m., just as the gates opened.
The first surprise was that it was Lowrider Weekend. Beautifully restored lowriders sat proudly displayed along the concourse, adding another uniquely California flavor to the evening.
Then came the pregame entertainment.
Apparently every cheer squad and dance academy from Fresno and Madera Counties had been invited. Hundreds of young performers cycled onto the field one after another. It wasn't exactly what I expected before first pitch, but that's part of the charm of minor league baseball. Every park develops its own personality.
The other thing developing that evening was the temperature.
First pitch arrived at 7:05 p.m.
It was still 102 degrees.
That suddenly made the Kodiak Lounge seem like one of the smartest purchases I'd made all summer.
The stadium itself seats roughly 10,000 fans, although only about 1,000 showed up that night. Even so, the Kodiak Lounge was busy, probably holding close to a hundred people escaping the Central Valley heat.
The buffet, however, didn't quite live up to the brochure.
There were only a handful of choices: chicken, pork, a few side dishes, and later in the evening a dessert bar featuring sheet cake and cookies. The cookies disappeared before I ever reached them. The food wasn't bad, but it reminded me of a buffet at a decent three-star hotel—perfectly acceptable without being memorable.
The unlimited hot dogs, popcorn, and peanuts lasted throughout the game. I skipped the hot dogs, enjoyed some popcorn and peanuts, and decided the best feature wasn't the buffet at all.
It was the air conditioning.
And the cold beer.
Originally I had a comfortable window seat inside the lounge overlooking the field, but baseball deserves to be watched outdoors whenever possible. I left the cool comfort behind and sat in my assigned seat.
That turned out to be a fortunate decision.
Late in the game, a foul ball rocketed into our section. The gentleman sitting directly in front of me reached up and nearly made the catch. The ball bounced off his hands, landed in the empty seat beside me, and I picked it up.
His young daughter, probably eight years old, stared at the baseball with wide eyes.
Technically, I recovered the foul ball.
Practically speaking, it already belonged to her.
I handed it over.
Watching a child's excitement over something so simple is one of those little moments that reminds you why live baseball still matters.
The baseball itself was entertaining.
Single-A baseball has its share of wild throws, aggressive base running, and occasional mistakes that never make it to the major leagues. But it also showcases extraordinary young talent. A couple of the pitchers were consistently reaching 97 miles per hour. That's serious velocity regardless of classification.
One home run cleared the fence, triggering fireworks beyond the outfield wall.
The stadium itself added another layer to the evening.
Chukchansi Park was originally built as the centerpiece of Fresno's downtown revitalization. From my seat I could look beyond the outfield and see the city's skyline rising into the warm evening air. Fifteen- and twenty-story buildings framed the horizon while a police helicopter circled somewhere overhead, reminding everyone that downtown Fresno remains a work in progress.
Oddly enough, that urban grit gave the ballpark character.
One feature made me laugh.
Beyond right field sat a taco stand called Oppo Taco.
Any baseball fan immediately recognizes the joke. An "oppo taco" is baseball slang for an opposite-field home run. Whoever came up with that name deserves credit for one of the better food stand puns in professional sports.
By the time I reached Mariposa the next morning, several brothers from the lodge had seen my photos online.
"You should have told us you were going," one of them said. "We'd have driven down."
That settled it.
Next time the state meeting comes around, I'll call ahead. We'll probably meet at the ballpark, watch a game together, and enjoy an evening of baseball before heading up the mountain for lodge the next morning.
As for the Kodiak Lounge?
I probably wouldn't do it again.
The air conditioning was wonderful, but the buffet wasn't worth the premium price. Next time I'll buy one of the regular seats for about $26, purchase a hot dog, some popcorn, and a cold beer, and spend the evening where baseball belongs—in the stands.
Not every ballpark has to be spectacular.
Fresno isn't as intimate as Rancho Cucamonga, nor as polished as some of the newer parks. But between the downtown skyline, the summer heat, the lowriders, the police helicopter, the fireworks, the baseball puns, and a little girl going home with a foul ball, it has something perhaps more valuable.
It has personality.
And sometimes that's enough to make a place worth visiting again.
I think this one captures the feel of your trip well. It reads less like a game recap and more like a travel essay, with the baseball serving as the backdrop for the experience—a style that would fit nicely in a future collection of your travel and baseball writings.

No comments:
Post a Comment